“The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true.”
-Edgar Allen Poe
You only get from life what you demand from it
The thing I hate about Bucket Lists is that… they are Bucket Lists. Even if you write a list of all the things to do before you die, most people will still probably wait until they die to do them. Ironic, right?
So instead, I have my “Bucket List” on my computer and it’s usually entitled 3-5 year plan. Because It’s what I’m going to do, not what I’d “Like/Hope” to do.
Here are some of my fun shenanigans planned:
1. Fluency in Chinese, French, And Spanish. (Okay, I’m cheating)
This one will be cake. I’m well on my way with Chinese (already conversational), French (Family speak it, it’ll come back quick), and Spanish (it’s Spanish.. come on).
My definition of fluency: you can date someone and have a quality relationship with your level of fluency.
2. CEO of A fully self-sustaining business permitting me to live anywhere as long as desired. The business(es) will be the singular passion of my life.
Working on that. This will probably be the toughest of my 3-5 year plans. This will also be great for attaining goal #1 of multi-lingual fluency.
3. Leading multiple expeditions yearly in search of the last remaining hermits, recluses, holy men, and priests.
A childhood dream. Share tea and talk about life and the state of modern society — simple pleasures.
4. Own a Honda CBR 600 rr in Repsol. And an Audi S5 (+ bodywork). Or an R8.
Everyone needs their toys.
5. Cross the trans-Siberian railroad in its entirety, participate in the Mongol Rally, and take a picture in front of the south pole naked.
6. Have a place. Somewhere.
Whether that’s Shanghai, Barcelona, Paris, or NYC.
7. Be Content.
All the toys and gadgets and material success mean nothing if you aren’t excited about them.
So, that was my “By 29” to-do list. You can literally find it posted on my desk.
Why is it not a bucket list? Because if you call your dreams, hopes, and aspirations a bucket list you’ll be waiting until you die to do them.
Dream it, and live it.